Saturday, May 1, 2010

On Spring Football and why it's odd to me

I went to the Spring football game for Oregon today. Since they were honoring vets, and since the barbershop chorus I sing in was singing the “Armed Forces Medley” at the half, I actually needed to go. A class touch: at the end of the game, the players gave their game jerseys to some deserving vets. I felt that much was classy, as was honoring the vets at the half.
But there’s something I don’t get: Why is there a football game in the spring?
Now, I’m not that dumb. I understand why there are spring college football games. I understand that the NCAA allows so many practice sessions in the spring, under the thinly veiled guise of the players being “student-athletes.” I understand the concept of having a simulated game, to see how players are progressing. And I understand opening said game to the throngs of football fans (25,000 plus turned out today!), even for just a few cans of food for Food of Lane County, is a PR thing.
I even understand that it’s a big marketing thing. People will be buying season tickets soon, if they aren’t already.
But that doesn’t really answer my question: Why is there a football game in the spring? The way they do this, is that it is a “medium contact” game, with limited hits to the QB, no sacks, shorter quarters (although I understand that was for the ESPN folks), and a chance to see that Oregon’s kickers need some work. (Actually, they need a lot of work.)
So why bother? It’s not that I’m not in favor of the Ducks; I am. It’s not that I don’t like football; although I have been heard to utter the immortal words of Dr. Harry L. Dinkle, The World’s Greatest Band Director: “Football fields are for band practice!” It’s not even that I think it’s silly to play a football game in the middle of baseball season--although to me it is, really.
I guess it’s that, if they are going to make this like a real game, then let’s really do it right. Let ‘em play like they were playing a real opponent, like say, OSU or UW. Play 15 minute quarters. Get real refs on the field, and not an ESPN commentator in a zebra suit. Sell tickets for $5 or $10. (Food donations should still be allowed, and in fact, made mandatory.) Let them sack the QB at least once a quarter. Heck, make them play at night under the lights. In short: Let ‘em play under real life conditions, and quit wasting their time.

Otherwise, this is just a glorified practice, and really doesn't prove much at all.

Enough for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment