Friday, February 10, 2012

On "Simple Church"

“Not all readers are leaders, but all leaders are readers” (Attributed to Harry S. Truman).
I may not be a leader in the conventional sense, but I am a reader. Sometimes too much so; I dislike getting rid of any of my books and so about 60% of my library resides in cedar-plastic tubs in a 10x10 climate controlled (read: inside access) storage bin. While I wait for my dissertation for what will be my third doctorate-this one a Ph.D-to move forward (the writing’s done, and I’m waiting for permission to send in the rough draft for review), I’m reading. Books on prayer and contemplation, preaching, some Wesleyan theology, and some books on leadership and church development. 
Just finished one today called “Change the World: Recovering the Message and Mission of Jesus”, and am about 40% done with a book called “Simple Church.” “Change the World”, by Mike Slaughter, basically is about the concept of getting out from the walls of one’s church and doing ministry, especially to those who have little. “For you always have the poor with you, but you will not always have me” (Matthew 26:11, NRSV) is still true; Slaughter’s book essentially asks the question “What if Church was a verb instead of a noun?” (Part of the Rethink Church question, for all you Methodists out there), and “Which is better: Expanding your facilities or your impact?” Good questions-but before you read his book, read Simple Church. 

No, really. I mean it.
Simple Church-for those of you reading this that either know me, are or have been one of my students-focuses on one thought that I’ve said, taught and harped on for years on end: The Church Universal is programming their people to death! The concept of Simple Church (as I’ve read to this point) is that it’s not enough to have programs, unless they are part of a streamlined growth and disciple-making process. You can do more with less-and probably should be. A great companion book to this is Easum’s “Sacred Cows Make Gourmet Burgers.” This book stresses that sometimes, you need to get rid of certain ministries that have been there since dirt was new (hence the ‘sacred cow’)-to make Ministry happen. (Catch the difference?) I’m reading it in conjunction with the other two books. In fact, Simple Church states that...well...The Church is programming their people to death, and they are burning out instead of growing deeper in their faith. Too many churches have too many programs that don’t do anything but make one feel like a hamster. You know, running on the holy habitrail wheel, never getting outside the walls of the church to meet, much less minister to others...and having a faith as a result that’s an inch deep. Jesus didn’t call us to make church members, but to “...make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you.” (Matthew 28:19-20a, NRSV). It’s challenging reading...but I find I am resonating with it. You might find the same thing. So I challenge you to read these books as well. 
Who knows? Maybe you’ll find their message resonates with you, too.
Enough for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment