Friday, October 2, 2009

Now in search of some work…period!

I wish I could still say I'm looking for extra work.

Sadly, this is no longer the case. I am now seeking fulltime employment.

I still love my job; I love mine and wish I could still make a go of it. But I have taken a 60% pay cut, as the institution I work for has hit the same hard times everyone has. (For that matter, so has three other people at the same place, and a fourth has simply been cut.) The painful reality is I now need to make up about $1500-$1600 a month to cover things like rent. And food. Plus bills, seizure meds (I don't think I've mentioned I'm epileptic), and everything else I'm supposed to cover.

See, the missus and I have moved into a cuuuuuuute little two room apartment. I've been making things happen for now, but I can't rearrange $956 into $2500. (Dang it, Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mutual fund manager!)

So, now I’m looking at any reasonable work, preferably fulltime but can look at the right part time job.


The problem is still that I have a lot of education, and am working on more, and the fact that I’m 43 really isn’t helping me. (Who needs a 43 year old with 2 doctorates and working on a third to come in and try to take everything over? After all, the more education, the more top brass is likely to promote you.) I admit to reducing some of what is on my resume--at the advice of the folks at one of my temp agencies. They flat out told me that (a) it isn't lying; I'm just not telling everyone ALL of my accomplishments, and (b) I stand a better chance of getting my foot in the door somewhere if I look somewhat teachable and not quite so expensive.

**sighs**

Look, folks, all I want is to find work. (Or, barring that, a winning lottery ticket. Or about $25, 500, to pay off enough debt so I won’t need to worry about working outside my other job for now, which I really do like and would love to see go back to what it was.) I'm not afraid of hard work, nor am I afraid to work an entry level position. (I can always learn new skills.)

I'd also love to see the missus get hired on someplace soon as well. ONE of us working fulltime at a steady job would help ease my tension level a tad.

I’ll let you all know—all 45-odd of you who now actually read my blog—how it’s going.

Please keep us both in your thoughts and prayers. I hope to have some good news soon!

Enough for now.
(posted 8/15/08)

No comments:

Post a Comment