Friday, October 2, 2009

Riding in an Electric Egg…

I had the opportunity over Valentine's Day to sing a lot. Doing a singing valentine for the barbershoppers is a ball--women cry, girls get a look that says somebody's gonna get it when they get home (and you can take that two ways at least), and (most) guys get embarrassed.

This isn't about the singing; though I could write a whole blog on that, this isn't about that. It's about the car we shlepped around in.


This year, we (the quartet I sang with) got hauled around in a Prius.


I am going to say this much: for a long highway trip, don't bother. Not quite enough trunk space, and while the back seat is comfortable (some days it stinks to stand about 5'10"), when the brakes grab, boy, you know it.


But all the electronics made the electrogeek in me pay close attention. All kinds of readouts on the dash monitor, telling you more than you'd ever need to know. The geek factor was pretty high, with all that stuff to watch. Sadly, I didn't get to see much of it until after we got done; I got to ride up front on the way to dinner and back. What I did get to see was pretty cool, I gotta admit.


The gas mileage was decent, all things considering. We went something like 184 miles on a quarter tank. The electric motor was quiet; more than once I thought the driver (my brother in law, who had this as a rental) had stalled the thing. He had a ball driving it, let me tell you!


I liked the backup feature: Throw the thing in reverse, and a little camera turns on, so you can see stuff behind you. That would come in handy, some days.


Riding around in the egg-shaped car was cool...but I still don't want one. My car (as of this writing, a 1994 Toyota Corolla) gets as good highway miles, and while the Prius kicks the Corolla's buns in the city, the overall difference is just not enough for me to want to shell out the money for one.


Still...it was a lot of fun to ride around in all day.


Enough for now.

(Posted 2/17/08)

No comments:

Post a Comment