Friday, October 2, 2009

So, what is this Barbershop thing, anyway?

I am a 25+ year member of the Barbershop Harmony Society (formerly known as the SPEBSQSA--Webpage is www.barbershop.org). No, I don't cut hair while I sing. I am currently the assistant director, as well as the Music and Performamce VP, for the Cascade Chorus here in Eugene, OR. (webpage: www.cascadechorus.org.) Which means I wave my arms around a bit, and doing so with scissors can be a dangerous thing.


So, why have I spent better than half my life doing this? Because it's fun. It's a huge singing family, with chapters all over the US, Canada, and the world. It's taken me all over country and then some--I've sung in Ireland with the Northbrook, Il. New Tradition Chorus, (as well as winning four silver chorus medals with them in the 1990's), went to a competition in Montreal, QB (but not as a competitor), and have belonged to choruses in California, Illinois, Indiana, Oregon, and hung out with a chapter in Mississippi for a few months while I was in the Navy.


Now, I know most people think of barbershop as four guys singing in a quartet. Which it is; but the more noticable form of this hobby, it's the chorus. Still only four parts...but it's just got more people sharing in the fun.


If you like to sing, check out a chapter near you. And if you want to hear some, go here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD94ZRtzPr0. This is the Westminster, CA. chorus--and they won our international competition in 2007. (This is their "Gold Medal Acceptance" set, which was filmed after they had won and gotten their medals. Enjoy!)


And, if you're in Eugene on Tuesday nights, we meet at St. Paul's Catholic Church fellowship hall, 1201 Satre Street, Eugene, Oregon. (http://www.cascadechorus.org/Rehearsals.asp will show you how to get there.)


Enough for now.

(Posted 1/16/08)

No comments:

Post a Comment